CK2:AGOT FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is this?
A Game of Thrones is a total conversion mod for Crusader Kings II, based on George R. R. Martin’s fantasy novel series, A Song of Ice and Fire.
Who can I play?
You can play as any landed feudal noble in Westeros or Essos, any Wildling/Pirate warlord, the Night’s Watch or the merchant republics of the Free Cities, Slaver’s Bay and Qarth (DLC required)
What are some of the new features?
Knights, Maesters, our new “Megawar” system for handling civil wars, the Night’s Watch, one-on-one duels between characters, several different kinds of magic, and much more.
What scenarios are available?
- The Bleeding Years, where Westeros is divided before the conquest
- The War of Conquest, when Aegon Targaryen set out to forge the Seven Kingdoms into one, through fire and blood.
- Faith Militant Uprising, when Maegor the Cruel fought against the Faith and the High Septon, as well as his own kin.
- The Rogue Prince, recreate Daemon Targaryen’s conquest of The Stepstones
- The Dance of the Dragons, when Targaryen fought Targaryen in a bloody succession war.
- The Blackfyre Rebellion, when the bastard son of Aegon IV rose up to challenge his half-brother for the Iron Throne
- After the Spring, in the aftermath of the Great Spring Sickness, as House Blackfyre once again plots to take the Iron Throne.
- War of the Ninepenny Kings, when Maelys Blackfyre led a Band of Nine to try and conquer the Seven Kingdoms
- Robert’s Rebellion, when Robert Baratheon, Eddard Stark, Jon Arryn, Hoster Tully, and Tywin Lannister overthrew the Mad King and brought the Targaryen dynasty to an end,
- The Crowned Stag, set in the immediate aftermath of the above, as the reign of King Robert begins,
- The Greyjoy Rebellion, when the Iron Islands fought to be independent of the Iron Throne.
- A Clash of Kings, set at the beginning of the book of the same name (Season Two of the HBO show)
- A Feast For Crows, set at the beginning of the book of the same name (not yet adapted for television)
Future releases may contain additional scenarios.
Is Essos in the mod?
I haven’t read all the books. Is it safe for me to play this mod?
To a limited extent.
All scenarios contain setting spoilers. If it’s really important to you to not know who the Lord of Winterfell in 255 was, we suggest not playing the mod at all. If you only care about avoiding spoilers for the events of the books and show, however, you’ll be safe so long as you follow these instructions:
- Don’t read the house descriptions on the Game Over screen.
- Don’t go mucking around in the mod’s source files, especially the character history files.
- Choose your scenario wisely.
Note: All scenarios will have spoilers relating to ‘The World of Ice and Fire’
Which scenarios contain spoilers?
- The Seven Kingdoms: No Spoilers
- War of Conquest: No Spoilers
- Faith Militant Uprising: No Spoilers
- The Rogue Prince: The Rogue Prince Novella
- The Dance of the Dragons: The Princess and the Queen Novella
- The Conquest of Dorne: No Spoilers
- The Blackfyre Rebellion: No Spoilers
- After the Spring: No Spoilers
- War of the Ninepenny Kings: No Spoilers
- Robert’s Rebellion: No Spoilers
- The Crowned Stag: Spoilers – A Dance with Dragons (Books)
- The Greyjoy Rebellion: Spoilers – A Dance with Dragons (Books)
- A Clash of Kings: Spoilers – A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Dance with Dragons (Books) Season One, Season Two (Show)
- A Feast For Crows: Spoilers – Basically Everything
What DLC does the mod need/use?
The mod should run fine no matter which DLC is enabled/disabled.
However some of the DLC does add content to the mod, here is an overview:
- The Sword of Islam: Adds only the ability for the player to have multiple wives as a character of the Valyrian religion.
- Legacy of Rome: Adds castration and blinding capability as well as a couple of flavour events. It does NOT add retinues.
- The Republic: Allows the Merchant Republic realms to be played, namely the Free Cities, Meereen, Yunkai, Astapor and the Guilds of Qarth. These realms will still be active even without the DLC.
- The Old Gods: Enables the concubine system for Drowned God and Harpy followers (Pre-DLC system will be used if not enabled). Also adds much flavour, including beserkers, adventurers, new rebels and runestones. Raiding is available for drowned god, wildlings and pirates even without this DLC.
- Sons of Abraham: Enables the council of the Most Devout and their election of the High Septon. Also adds many religious flavour events, including various Holy Order events/decisions.
- Rajas of India: Adds flavour to various far eastern cultures, including tiger hunts, gurus and the reincarnation events
- Charlemagne: Adds the chronicle, custom kingdoms (exisiting titular kingdoms are still available without DLC) and a ‘hero knight’ flavour event
- Way of life: Enables the focus system, allowing a ruler to pick any of the foci available with all associated events decisions. Seduction focus replaces ‘visit chambers’ interaction when DLC is enabled
- Ruler Designer: Fully compatible with the mod
- Customiser: Fully compatible with the mod
- EU4 Converter: Not compatible
- Music Packs: The mod’s soundtrack currently overrides them, however deleting “A Game of Thrones/music/songs.txt” will re-enable vanilla music
- African Unit Pack/Portraits: Used for the Summer Islanders, Basilisk Islanders and Sothoryos
- Mongol Portraits: Used for the Jogos Nhai and Nefer
- All other Face Packs: Not used
- All other Unit Packs: Not used
- Dynasty Coat of Arms Packs: Not used
- Sunset Invasion: Some things may happen if enabled…
I have a copy of the HBO show’s opening theme what I acquired completely legitimately. How can I use it as my main menu music?
Convert it to .ogg format, move it to your Crusader Kings II\mod\A Game of Thrones\music folder, and rename it crusaderkings2_maintitle
Hey, I noticed some missing shields…
This is technically a beta release.
I’m a Wildling and I have no idea what I’m doing.
The Wildlings don’t respect dynastic ties the way Southerners do. They’ll only follow strong leaders. The Wildlings receive a free Invasion CB on all their neighbors, and they receive significant military bonuses from having high prestige, but these bonuses come at two dangerous costs. First, Wildling provinces are ruled only at the Wildlings’ pleasure. Anger the people too much, and you may find a revolt on your hands. Second, don’t expect any higher-tier titles you create to outlast you – Wildling higher lordships and kingdoms can dissolve on their rulers’ deaths. As a Wildling, you’ll find that power is easy to gain, and much more difficult to keep.
I am a French speaker, why are the dynasty names in English?
For french users: si vous voulez jouer avec les dynasties traduites, rendez vous dans Mes Documents/Paradox/mod/A Game of Thrones/Traduction dynastie/FAQ où vous trouverez la démarche à suivre pour jouer avec les noms des Maisons en français.
I’m making a CK2 mod and would like to use your Duel Engine or any other part of the mod, or I’d like to use your Duel Engine as a standalone mod.
Altering or using content from the main AGOT mod for use in a submod or another vanilla mod is fine, permission is granted to all who wish to do so. If using content in a vanilla mod please credit “the AGOT team”
We’ve also released a generic, de-Westerosified version of the Duel Engine as a standalone mod here.
My character has like 25 martial, why is he losing to guys with really low martial in duels?
Martial ability, being a command rating, has no effect on duel outcomes. Traits are what determines this. The combat traits are the most important, whilst others like strong, weak and valyrian swords also contribute.
Are there supposed to be random silent sisters showing up in the Kingsguard/Nightswatch’s court?
Yes, the game populates courts with random females. If you move the game simply adds more, this is the compromise we arrived at
Why are all High Septons called High Septon I?
A new High Septon extends the practice of septons giving up their family names by renouncing any kind of individual name. This is due to the belief that the individual becoming High Septon is no longer a man but an avatar of the gods.
Fabricating claims isn’t working/happening too often, what have you done to it?
The chances of fabricating a claim have not been altered from vanilla, so having loads of claims or none at all in a certain period of time can happen.